Saturday 2 October 2010

Sting and the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

Symphonicity Tour
Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore
Listen: Englishman in New York
Sting; Dominic Miller (guitar); David Cossin (drums); Jo Lawry (vocals); Ira Coleman (double bass); Steven Mercurio (conductor);
If I Ever Lose My Faith In You; Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic; Englishman In New York; Roxanne; Straight To My Heart; When We Dance; Russians; I Hung My Head; Shape Of My Heart; Why Should I Cry For You; Whenever I Say Your Name; Fields Of Gold; Next To You; A Thousand Years; This Cowboy Song; Tomorrow We'll See; Moon Over Bourbon Street; End Of The Game; You Will Be My Ain True Love; All Would Envy; Mad About You; King Of Pain; Every Breath You Take; Desert Rose; Happy Birthday; She's Too Good For Me; Fragile; I Was Brought To My Senses;
In 2009 Sting performed at Sala Palatului in Bucharest during his Songs from the Labyrinth tour. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we tried, me and my friend Bogdan were unable to get in; nevertheless, reviews were pretty harsh - the gig was very short, no lights, no drums, no guitars, no classic Police tunes, too folky - you get the point. So I was pretty reserved when I bought my ticket only a few days before the concert - especially since Symphonicity has a rather unconventional spirit as well.

How Wrong I was! This was the exact opposite - almost 30 songs and almost all of them hits, 3 hours, more than 40 people on stage, electric guitars, drums and an incredible aussie singer (thank God gorgeous looks and gorgeous vocals is not pleonastic).
The surprise for me was that October 2 is his birthday, so the audience got to sing for him, just after Desert Rose. And then there was a balloon invasion launched from the ceiling. It was undoubtedly a special evening for everybody.

He played all his classics - with more or less electric guitar in them. Some were surprisingly good - I liked Fragile and Englishman in New York; while in others I almost felt something was missing - Roxanne was just a shadow of the vibrant punk tune on the album.
Overall very interesting although not a very audacious rearrangement for orchestra.


No comments: